"Yesterday, Cormac Hollingsworth, standing as a Labour candidate for Council in South Bermondsey, was leafleting an estate in the area 'when he was punched three times in the face and kicked. Meanwhile the attacker kept up a stream of insults and shouted pro-BNP slogans'. (full story at TMP online)."
This is the problem about the BNP. When people say that they merely another political party and that they are being demonised for simply talking about immigration, I say which other party attacks its fellow candidates and members of the public? Apart from their supporters, BNP politicians themselves, and aspiring ones, are not exempt from criminal behaviour. We're also reminded that:
"David Clarke, the BNP candidate for Heathfield ward (Croydon Council) was convicted last week of two separate assaults on anti-racist campaigners who had been giving out leaflets outside East Croydon station. Full story at Croydon Advertiser."
Co-incidently, yesterday the Raincoat Optimist had a brilliant post about why people should not vote for the BNP, focussing on the Barking and Dagenham where Nick Griffin is standing. He also had this useful digest with lots of interesting links:
"Other reasons for not voting fror the BNP, from other wesbites, are:
- they make bad councillors (many racist, many more just moronic)
- their high profile members are not simply racists, but immature and are ashamed of it
- their PR stunts with “army soldiers” are shite
- they do silly things to other candidates
- they have no plans about job cuts (a bit like Thatcher)
- Hitler is still a good influence on some of their top brass
- When Griffin thinks no one is looking he says really stupid stuff
- for such a relatively small party, it has a large number of criminals in its team, and not those noble “PC crimes”
- ethno-nationalism is a pointless exercise anyway, but to suggest this can be deciphered over the phone is insanity – and talking of insanity."